Friday, October 3, 2008

We finally have our laptops plugged up and everything working in our apartment! We got a converter but it wouldn't work with our laptop plugs because they both have 3 prongs. So Scarlet took us to this little hardware store because she thought she could find something to fix it- no problem! Well these guys were all sitting there drinking beer and talking about my laptop cord. I have absolutely no idea what is going on. Then, Scarlet says, "They're going to cut it." I laughed....and then I realized she was serious. I looked over to see the guy had wire cutters to my laptop cord! And before I could say anything, he had cut it! I almost died! He handed me the other end and said he'd put it back on for me before I go back to the States. Luckily it worked, otherwise I really don't know what I would have done!

Things are going really well though. Today was a holiday so we didn't have school. The school is about a four minute walk from our apartment. In the morning I teach a class of 7 year olds for an hour and twenty minutes. They're super cute but can be quite a handful! Then we have about a two hour lunch break. In the afternoon I usually teach four fifty minute classes of older elementary students. We have some extra stuff every once in a while too, but considering everything...it's not too bad!

The apartment is tiny but I like it a lot. We are pretty settled in now and getting to know the area. We walked around a lot today. We just started walking to see what we'd find. We walked for a long time and then managed to find our way home! We were pretty excited because we even took a completely different way home. We had no idea where we were and we had no maps.

Well there's lots I could share, but I don't want to keep going on forever. So instead I'll share some pictures...

This is the view from my bedroom window.


Here are some pictures of the apartment.




This was our first meal with Scarlet and the director of the school. It was delicious!


And here are my kinders!!!

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I think I would have flipped out if someone tried that with my laptop cord! hehe.

Good to see that you are getting all settled in. I really like the idea of living in an apartment in a big city. Guess I will get my chance in a couple years when I start clinicals in NY/NJ.

I consciously do what you did with the getting lost thing. I force myself to get lost somewhere so that I can find my way out and learn the area better. Most of the time it is in my car though.

Best wishes on everything!
~B

Arnold Austin Jr said...

lovin the flower wall